Using AEDs on Infants

Using AEDs on Infants


Sudden cardiac arrest does not discriminate. It affects people of all ages. When someone suffers sudden cardiac arrest, it is crucial that CPR is provided immediately and an AED is used quickly. When this happens, the chances of survival can greatly increase. Statistically, if an AED is used within one minute, the person has a 90% chance of survival. Each minute after decreases the chances 10%.
 
Since sudden cardiac arrest affects people of all ages, it is important to understand the differences when using an AED on an adult, child, and infant.
 
When using an AED, an adult is classified as anyone ages 8 and above. All AEDs should have adult pads included with them. Place the adult pads on the chest based on what the pictures show. Once the pads are placed correctly, the AED will start to analyze and determine if a shock is required.
 
A child is classified as someone between the ages of 1-8. Child AED pads are not as common as adult pads, but should be found in any organization that serves children. If you are in a situation where a child is in sudden cardiac arrest and you only have adult pads, you can use the adult pads on the child. It is important that the pads are not touching so when using adult pads on a child, place one pad on the middle of the chest and the other pad in the middle of the back between the shoulder blades.
 
An infant is classified as anyone below the age of 1. A manual defibrillator is preferred when using an AED on an infant. If no manual defibrillator is available, use an AED to give the infant the best chances of survival.
 
Remember, when someone suffers sudden cardiac arrest, call 9-1-1, start performing CPR, and use an AED as soon as it is available! This will give an infant, child, or an adult, the absolute best chances of survival.
 
To learn more about Defibtech and to join us on our quest to save lives from sudden cardiac arrest, visit www.Defibtech.com.
 
Sources:
 
https://cpr.heart.org/-/media/cpr-files/training-programs/aed-implementation/aed-programs-qa-ucm501519.pdf