What Victims of Sudden Cardiac Arrest Require Child Pads

What Victims of Sudden Cardiac Arrest Require Child Pads

December 28, 2021


 

When someone suffers a sudden cardiac arrest, it is crucial an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is used quickly to help save their life. Statistically, if someone is shocked within one minute of suffering sudden cardiac arrest, they have a 90% chance of survival. Each minute decreasesminute after decreases that person’s chances of survival 10%. This is why it is crucial AEDs are EVERYWHERE!

It is very important to remember you do not need medical training to use an AED. Anyone can use one. Just turn it on and follow the step-by-step instructions. You cannot hurt someone with an AED. It will not deliver a shock to a person that does not need one.

What about using an AED on a child? If the sudden cardiac arrest victim is 8 years old or younger and less than 55 pounds, use pediatric pads. If pediatric pads are not available you can use adult pads on anyone above the age of one. When using adult pads on someone ages one to eight, place one pad in the center of the chest and the other pad in the middle of the back, between the shoulder blades.

If a person is unresponsive, unconscious, and not breathing normally, they need an AED. Use the AED as soonis soon as it arrives. The quicker it is used, the higher the chances of survival.

Step 1:

Power on the AED. Our Lifeline AEDs have a very clear, green “on” button. Once you press the button, the machine will start talking to you. It will first tell you to “call for help.” If you have not called 9-1-1 yet, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Step 2: 

Next, the AED will tell you to “remove pads from package in back of unit.” Defibtech AEDs make the pads easy to find! Just turn the machine around and you will see the pads pack in the back of the unit.

Step 3:

The AED will now tell you to “apply pads to the patient'sto patient’s bare chest as shown.” It is important that the patient’s chest is completely bare. The pads cannot be placed over any type of clothing. The pads have pictures on them. When you tear open the pads package you will see one picture showing a pad on the right side of the patient’s chest underneath the collar bone. The other picture will show a pad being placed on the person’s left side, under the armpit. Place the pads firmly as they are shown in the pictures.

Step 4:

Once the pads are placed correctly the machine will say, “analyzing heart rhythm, do not touch the patient.” It is important to make sure no one is touching the patient at this time. Look up and down the body. Loudly state, “Stand clear.” If the machine determines a shock is needed, it will say, “Shock Advised. Charging. Stand Clear.” Again, look up and down the body. Loudly state, “Stand clear.”

Step 5:

Once the machine has finished charging, it will say, “Press flashing shock button.” Defibtech AEDs have a bright shock button found on the front of the unit. Press this button when it is flashing and the AED tells you to.

Step 6:

Once you deliver the first shock, the machine will say, “Shock one delivered. It is safe to touch the patient. Begin CPR now.” You can now provide CPR to the person. NEVER remove the defibrillator pads. Perform CPR with the pads still on the body. You will hear a metronome that will give you the perfect beat to provide chest compressions. The AED will allow you to provide CPR for two minutes. After two minutes that machine will re-analyze and determine if a second shock is needed. This process will continue until EMS arrives.

Every situation is different. If the AED is used very quickly, one shock might bring the person back to being responsive and breathing. If this happens, you do not need to provide CPR, but you need to monitor the person until EMS arrives. The person might go back into cardiac arrest again, if this happens, start CPR immediately.

Other situations might require multiple rounds of CPR, multiple shocksshocked from the AED, and medication administered by EMS to bring the person back.

Remember, whether an adult or aof a child is suffering from sudden cardiac arrest, you can use an AED to help save their life!

To learn more about Defibtech and to join us on our quest to save lives from sudden cardiac arrest, visit www.Defibtech.com.